Monday, December 15, 2008

For Your Consideration: The Roots

I've already talked a bit on this blog about Rising Down, The Roots' new album this year, but I just want to bring it up one more time. Yes, I still question the good taste of this video, and this newest album is one of the darkest, bleakest pieces of popular music I've ever heard...but it's also an unflinching, relentlessly interesting, capital "A" work of Art, impeccably produced, with an extremely high replay value, and I can't get enough of it. The Roots is one of the best bands in America, and the live version of the song "Rising Up" really shows off what they can do. Between the 3 extra percussionists brought in for this song, and the dancing tuba player, David Letterman is right on the mark when he exclaims "Yeah! A lot going on there!"

1 comment:

drischord said...

Yeah, that was great! I liked how they started swinging at the end before going back to that funk thing. I'll have to explore this further.

(Unless of course the Web Sheriff objects.)