Thursday, December 04, 2008

For Your Consideration: Lil' Wayne's OTHER release...

This is a good idea Tex...I never know half of the albums you guys are talking about at the end of the year, and don't really have time to look into them.

Tha Carter 3 is a crass, messy, pop masterpiece, but C3 fans would be remiss to overlook Wayne's other release this year (or technically, his release from the last week of 2007). The Leak EP is a collection of songs that wouldn't have quite fit on Tha Carter 3's pop celebration. The beats are much more stripped down, and it's more focused on putting Wayne's MC skills front and center--which is not at all a bad thing. A couple of the songs on here stand up against the best of Tha Carter 3, and personally, the crazy pun-filled ride of this EP has had higher replay value for me than the proper album. When trying to asses where to put Lil' Wayne in my top 10, I'll probably take this EP together with Tha Carter 3 and give them some sort of combined rating, because I think they actually improve when taken as companion pieces.

4 comments:

texplush said...

Q - how many tracks on the Leak EP?

Quinapalus said...

Just 5, of which I'd say 3 are genuinely great songs, though the other 2 are worth the listen as well.

texplush said...

i was able to find
"i'm me", "kush", "gossip" and "Talkin about it".
what am i missing?
also, what do you know about the American Dreams mixtape? i think it's brand new but i can't tell.

Quinapalus said...

"Love Me or Hate Me"....one of the highlights.

I don't know much about that mixtape. I have a hard time keeping track of all his free internet releases, which--with a couple of exceptions--I don't think are as good as their reputation would have them be