Saturday, February 23, 2008

Airplane Gazing

Here are two little songs I really like, which I'm posting together because they're both about staring down at cities from airplanes. Hope you enjoy.

First is an old gem from The Flatlanders, called "Dallas". I'd nominate this as one of the greatest songs ever written about a kid from the country contemplating the big city.



"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eye...a rich man who tends to believe in his own lies."

And second is "Stratford on Guy", one of my favorite Liz Phair songs, from back in her Exile in Guyville days. She's contemplating Chicago, but in the end she's really more interested in herself than anything else.



"I had on my headphones, along with those eyes that you get when your circumstance is movie-sized."

1 comment:

drischord said...

"In the end she's really interested in herself more than anything else."

That certainly describes Liz Phair's relationship with her fans.