Monday, January 26, 2009

Los Campesinos: Arcade Fire for British Optimists


I recently got the much-acclaimed Los Campesinos record from my favorite retail source:

Sam Goody (with 50% mark-up.)

It's a fun record. The songs are enjoyably short. '50s/'60s AM radio length. And as if that wasn't already enough for Eric, they're adorably British!

The best comparison is an upbeat version of the Arcade Fire-- think No Cars Go sung by Brits wearing rainbow hipster gear instead of all black. There's something else in there too, but I can't quite place a finger on it.

Anyway, enjoy and then go download it from Sam Goody at the mall. ($18.99 + tax.)

My Year in Lists


Knee Deep at ATP

5 comments:

Eric said...

I continue to be shocked/amused/heartened by this turn towards the British and the poppy by the Berklee-educated, Aja-loving Drischord.

(This has been on my list of things to check out for a while but I've got so much recently acquired stuff that I'm yet to listen to that it'll be a while before I get to it).

texplush said...

yeah, i tried to like this awhile back. too clever by half. Indigo Girls for acne-plagued indie rock scots.

texplush said...

i think i meant to say ani difranco for acne-plagued indie rock scots.
now i'm not sure either make any sense. i'm going to bed.

drischord said...

Don't get me wrong: I'd still take Aja to the desert island with me before anything that I've discovered in the past year. But, hey, at least I'm branching out!

drischord said...

By the way, Eric, I felt similarly heartened by your arms-length embrace of Chinese Democracy: Your acknowledgment that while it doesn't operate in a style you typically crave, it was nonetheless impressive for what it is.