Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Best of 2008 Followup

It's been so great to listen to all the stuff on ya'lls lists that I never heard this year...here's a quick list of my favorite picks that you guys made that I missed:

8. Gnarls Barkley (Dr. K)
7. School Of Language (Dris)
6. Dennis Wilson (Eric)
5. Nick Lowe (Eric)
4. Wale (Q)
3. Dr. Kittybrain's Odds and Ends
Dr. K, your singles list actually makes a pretty fly mixtape, and I've got the perfect runlist!
2. The Roots (Q)
Q was right - this album is awesome. My favorite is "Criminal" and of course "Rising Up", but the whole record works best as one listen.
1. Al Green (Dr. K)
This one is a masterpiece. the songs are perfect. The production is impeccable. The arrangements and guest stars are spot on.

Sorry, VC. I already knew everything on your list :)

I also wanted to introduce ya'll to the writer for Pitchfork most suited to the Kittybrains Collective. I scrolled through the individual year end lists of all their writers, and this guy was the closest one to our taste I think (with the exception that he did not list Chinese Democracy or Lil' Wayne). I think everyone but Eric is represented. Behold:

>> Mike Powell
1. Bonnie "Prince" Billy: Lie Down in the Light
2. Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend
3. Erykah Badu: New Amerykah Part One: 4th World War
4. DJ/rupture: Uproot
5. Randy Newman: Harps and Angels
6. No Age: Nouns
7. Max Tundra: Parallax Error Beheads You
8. The Mountain Goats: Heretic Pride
9. Marnie Stern: This Is It and I Am It and You Are It and So Is That and He Is It and She Is It and It Is It and That Is That
10. Air France: No Way Down EP
11. Harvey Milk: Life...The Best Game in Town
12. Robert Ashley: Concrete
13. Bohren & der Club of Gore: Dolores
14. Mary Halvorson Trio: Dragon's Head
15. Deerhunter: Microcastle / Weird Era Cont.
16. Bennie Maupin: Early Reflections
17. Wale: The Mixtape About Nothing
18. Volcano!: Paperwork
19. Asva: What You Don't Know is Frontier
20. Flying Lotus: Los Angeles
21. Orchestra Baobab: Made in Dakar
22. Deerhoof: Offend Maggie
23. Shackleton: Soundboy's Gravestone Gets Desecrated by Vandals
24. Hot Chip: Made in the Dark
25. Kanye West: 808s & Heartbreak

2 comments:

Eric said...

I halfheartedly endorsed Vampire Weekend too.

Quinapalus said...

Glad you're enjoying The Roots! I also love both those songs...a couple of other personal favorites are "I Will Not Apologize" and "I Can't Help It".

And for the record, those guys also have an incredible back catalogue. Phrenology, Things Fall Apart, and Illadelph Halflife are some of my favorite albums of the last 15 years, and even the more uneven Game Theory and the often overlooked The Tipping Point have incredible moments that make them worth your time.

This has been my Roots plug for the month.