Friday, September 18, 2009

Andrew W.K. String Quartet

So, it's time to admit it. I am somewhat of a closeted Andrew W.K. fan. I don't have a lot of his stuff, but his first two albums are just really well crafted pop, provided you don't mind some crazy excess in your rock, and, well, clearly I don't. For everyone let down that Bat Out of Hell III sucked so bad, Andrew W.K.'s "The Wolf" is the album for you. I doubt my appreciation for Mr. W.K. comes as a great shock.

Anyway, why post this now? Because he's embarking on this very odd new tour that's just him on piano and a string quartet. Weird, but sounds kind of glorious to me. It brings me back to seeing Ben Folds Five years (YEARS) ago at HORDE (or was it Lollapalooza) with a string quartet backing them, and it was awesome. So I am intrigued. Intrigued enough to spend $20? Probably, provided I can find another Andrew W.K. fan amongst my friends here in Chicago, which might be a tall order...

3 comments:

drischord said...

Strangely enough, he is a true classical music aficionado and has a nearly encyclopedic collection of records in his home, from Palestrina to Penderecki.

Here's an interview he did with NPR about the Brandenberg concertos.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106537663

ps- This is not to be interpreted as an endorsement of the albums he puts out. I also don't really think this ensemble is working for him, but if you dig it, VC, that's cool by me.

texplush said...

Wow, concert tickets in Chicago only cost $20? Lucky man.
In related news, I just spent $100 for 2 tix to the Pavement reunion that happens ONE YEAR IN THE FUTURE.

Quinapalus said...

I think it's hard to tell from the recording how the ensemble sounds, what with the fan screaming along to the music right by the camera. But as far as Andrew WK in his raw, rocking out form, there's nothing wrong with the pure cheezy joy of his songs. If I'm not mistaken, i think the AV club once called him a really great "camp counselor" for the way his positive vibes coach you through your day, which i think is an apt description