Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Was This Song Created in a Lab?

This is not an endorsement but simply a query.

I heard this song, "Compulsion" by the Doves, on satellite radio today and all I could think was that some rock producer sat down in a studio and decided he would make a carefully calibrated synthesis of Pink Floyd and U2. And this is what came out:



Now I love me some (good) Floyd and can palette a small handful of U2 songs, so therefore I sorta like this. But I don't really like it because the song itself doesn't necessarily speak to me. But points for style I guess.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

3 comments:

texplush said...

um, Doves is a great band. Also, all music is made in a "lab". it's called a studio.

Quinapalus said...

Wow! Burn notice!

I actually thought Drischord had a funny point about this song, but I'll just say since you mention it Tex, "lab" is actually common hip-hop slang for "studio". As Big L says in his hip-hop-slang-crash-course song "Ebonics"

"Your apartment is your pad
Your old man is your dad
The studio is a lab and heated is mad
I know you like the way I'm freakin' it
I talk with slang and I'm 'a never stop speakin' it."

drischord said...

Say what you will, but I stand by my assertion. 65% Pink Floyd, 35% U2. Although subtract whatever makes either band's lyrics interesting.