Friday, October 30, 2009

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Concert

Um, I went to this ridiculous concert:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/arts/music/31hall.html?hpw

yes, my seats were behind the stage, and I didn't technically SEE the whole show (or most of it, unless you count a screen by my seat), but it was pretty awesome anyway.

Highlights:
1. Simon and Garfunkel. Just...wow. So nice to see them together in my lifetime. I didn't think it would happen. From my seat, I had a perfect view of the bands that were coming up next setting up (it was a rotating stage so each band was completely set up as the previous band was completing their set) and I got to watch Stevie Wonder absolutely JAMMING to The Boxer from backstage. What a moment.
2. Stevie Wonder breaking down during The Way You Make Me Feel. He also led the audience in the following chant at the end of Superstition: "Death, where is your sting? Long live Michael Jackson!". Just awesome.
3. John Fogerty and Springsteen playing together with the E Street Band. Such power. And Fogerty's voice is in SUCH good shape. He was belting Fortunate Son like he was still in his twenties, and then they did Pretty Woman and he was beautifully crooning without any grit in his voice.
4. Billy Joel playing with Springsteen. They did You May Be Right, Only The Good Die Young, New York State Of Mind and Born To Run. They totally messed up the end of Die Young, and then went back and replayed the ending. I bet the edit is seamless.
5. The special guests were unstoppable: B.B. King, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Smokey Robinson, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Rait, Sting and so so so many more.
6. Sam, from Sam and Dave, backed by the E Street Band was also really really great sounding.

4 comments:

drischord said...

Wow, that is awesome. I've seen Simon and Garfunkel before, when Paul Simon was honored by the Library of Congress. That was a crazy experience-- Garfunkel seemed to be experiencing an emotional catharsis onstage and Simon seemed a little uneasy. But Garfunkel can still sing, that's for sure.

I also saw Stevie Wonder at that same concert, so I also know how awesome that guy is live.

And then Fogerty... yes, his voice is still amazing. I honestly don't know how he does it. I remember hearing him belt out Fortunate Son about Dubya during the '04 Rock for Change tour. He put out a new album not too long ago, and while the songs are nothing special, his voice remains stellar.

Sounds like an amazing night.

Eric said...

I'm going to go out on a limb -- and I know you'll all think I'm crazy -- but I'm going to just throw it out there: "Centerfield" by John Fogerty is a metaphor for homosexuality.

drischord said...

I would like to debate this with you at the Tastee Diner in Bethesda.

Eric said...

Also, that's awesome-- I've kind of always wanted to go to one of those kitchen sink all-star jams with Paul Schaffer leading the band (was Paul Schaffer leading the band?).