Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Another little Townes gem...

I figured I'd take this opportunity to post a great gem of an interview with Townes Van Zandt...I may have forced some of you guys to watch this back in college, so it might look familiar. Watch as Townes explains to a star struck woman what his song Pancho and Lefty is "about".

(As for the subsequent performance of the song, I can only say that it's certainly not the definitive version. By 1984 his voice is already starting to go, and in my opinion the song could have done without the flute.)


3 comments:

drischord said...

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

jayguevara said...

Flute always seems like a good idea, and often, it is. It's only with "woodwind hindsight" that we see the error of our ways. The bigger crime is the guy's hair, if you ask me. Thank god the 1980s are over, that we must no longer suffer caucasian flautists with jheri curls.

Has anyone seen the documentary about Townes Van Zandt, "Be Here To Love Me"?

Quinapalus said...

Yeah, it's an enjoyable documentary, if a bit of a downer. What I'd recommend even more is "Heartworn Highways", which is about the whole underground country scene in Texas in the 70s (and several scenes from Be Here To Love Me actually seemed to be scenes left on the cutting room floor of that movie) and has some great performances from Townes and many others.