Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Overdue Pitchfork Criticism

I was just looking through some old files I'd downloaded, and I came across this screenshot from Pitchfork that I'd meant to share with you guys. It's an American Express ad starring John Legend. (Click on the image for a better view.)

I don't have much to say other than one of the following things is off base with the others: Pitchfork's current identity, advertisers' concept of Pitchfork's identity, or my concept of Pitchfork's identity (or at least what it should be.)

Now having posted that, it's actually my opinion that Pitchfork criticisms are kind of passé at this point. I've been the most guilty member of this collective in railing at them every couple months on schedule, but in truth I hardly care anymore. Short of going the Rolling Stone route (i.e. multi-page puff pieces on Kei$ha), they're not really going to surprise me. We all know their script and it doesn't merit much further analysis. Personally, I barely read the site at all these days.

Still an amusingly misplaced ad though.

3 comments:

Quinapalus said...

I'm actually just kind of confused by that screen shot...is the John Legend thing an ad? Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you're pointing out...

drischord said...

Yeah, it's an ad.

Either that or Pitchfork now has tabs about golf, tennis and fashion.

texplush said...

Well, to be fair - Legend and the Roots just put out a (pretty good) album of cover songs, so at least it's in line with that concept.